`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Friday, December 14, 2007 :~:

Fun Times: Linda's First Booksigning

I don't believe the author learning curve ever ends. I'm editing book five, after the recent releases of book four in ebook and book one in print. Some of the learning curve is fun, though.


Like author appearances. Now, I'm a social animal at heart. I don't like crowds, but give me a gathering of likeminded people and I'm in heaven. You know, like people who want to buy my book . . . and have me sign it.

Now, let me preface this by saying I realize this first booksigning of mine was a fluke. I live in a relatively small town (okay, so small that almost everyone is a relative -- that kind of relatively small) and the release of this book generated huge buzz.


I sold sixty copies in a week, which included the forty-plus I signed during the two-hour booksigning.

(That's me handing Carol her copy.)
Anyway . . . this part of promo I could get used to: talking to people about my book. Everyone wants to know where your ideas come from and they're eager to read it . . . which leaves you wondering what they'll say if they don't like it!

(Luckily, everyone who's read it so far has loved it. I'm figuring the ones I haven't heard from . . . don't.)

Being "famous" in a small town? Oh, that's fun. Former students bring you flowers:

(That's me and Kyle -- he designed the floral display. I taught him for three years. Isn't he a sweetie? Yes, my eyes are closed.)







Then, there's having your #1 fan show up. (I get flashbacks to Stephen King when I say that, but I don't think she'll chop my foot off.)





(This is me and my mama, definitely my newest and #1 fan. I don't thinks she's read the book yet. She keeps selling her copies to people every time I sign one for her. I think she's my top marketing tool right now.)










And then all the relatives (e.g. my sisters and my niece) show up as well.


My niece loves books. I told her to pick out books for her birthday present while she was there.

I, by the way, am in trouble because the relatives (mom, sisters, niece) are not in the dedication in What Mattered Most. I will fix that before Truth and Consequences releases in April!

Overall, even with my glitches (I called an old acquaintance I'd not seen in ages by the wrong name and offended him, then got rattled and spelled someone's name wrong on the title page -- try fixing that!), it was a really great, very positive experience.

So, this part of the learning curve -- surviving my first author appearance -- I like.

Labels:

5Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

Lin,

I'm so jazzed for you!! Fantastic pictures and you look beautiful! I hope someday to make it to one of your signings.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

LOL. I was supposed to put you on speaker phone so you could "be" at this one. Then I got rattled and forgot!

I am so glad Carol was there to "manage" me -- she's uber-organized (all that time she spent in the corporate world I think) and I couldn't have done it without her.

Thanks for saying I look beautiful . . . I was having one mega-bad-hair day, LOL!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Aw, great pics, Lin. You look gorgeous and that looks like a very homey bookstore. So glad it went so well!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Thanks, E.

Yes, Leigh's "The Booksore" is fabulous. There's a coffee shop next door and both places are just a great spot to relax and hang out.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Hi Linda,

My first signing was like yours a huge success! Everyone turned out- the ones after have been smaller, not that people didn't like the book or aren't buying the next ones they just seem to wander into the book store and get the book at their convenience rather than come to a book signing. Or buy copies from me.

I hope the next ones go as well for you as the first one!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home