`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, October 29, 2007 :~:

Things I'm No Longer Afraid To Admit

As I sit here trying to think of something pithy to blog about, I keep coming up blank. My brain seems to be elsewhere these days - in the book I'm reading, in the book I'm writing, contemplating the fact I am no longer a young spring chicken. My birthday is this coming Saturday and it's one of those milestone ones. You know, the kind where you think about your age and say, "OMG, I'm THAT old?!" My mother didn't help matters much when she was here on Sat. and I mentioned how old I'm turning. Her reaction was a slack-jawed, "Oh, my word. You can't possibly BE that old!"

Um. Yeah. Thanks, Mom.

So in thinking about that old-age milestone (which, as I said before, is occupying way more of my brain-time these days than it should) I've been contemplating what I'm not afraid to admit anymore. Here's the list I came up with:

1. I like country music. Never thought I'd EVER admit to that, but there it is. Not the twangy stuff, but the newer bands/singers, though I've always had a soft spot for Kenny Rogers and John Denver. Most of my WIP song lists have country songs (lots, actually).

2. I don't like literary fiction. I've tried to read it, but the result is always the same. I put the book down and never look back. I hated it when I was in school, hate it even more now.

3. I read Lord Of The Rings solely for the love story and felt gypped in the end when it was an "addendum" at the end of the book. Granted, it was a great book, but if I hadn't known of the love story hiding in there I wouldn't have ever made it through the first 100 pgs of which hobbit beget which hobbit. Gah. Boring.

4. I don't enjoy reading ebooks. Probably because I spend too much time on the computer doing my own writing/editing. I love being able to hold a book in my hand and soak in the tub (and that ain't easy or safe to do with the laptop). I'm thrilled when my ebook author friends have print releases.

5. I hate Halloween. Truly hate it. Dressing up has never interested me. It's one of those holidays I suffer through for the sake of my kids.

6. I like the Backstreet Boys. 'Nuff said there. Won't embarrass myself further.

7. I love to read good romance. I don't care what genre it's in - whether it's contemporary, historical, erotic or suspense. If it's a great story, I'm hooked. Unfortunately, there are less and less "great" stories out there (at least that I can find).

8. I'm the most impatient person in the world. Old age hasn't helped me develop my patience skill. Neither has parenting.

9. I live in my own fantasy world most of the time. The DH says it's like talking to a wall a lot of the time because I'm off in la-la land with my characters. I lead a very sheltered life because of it (boring to the outside world) but I wouldn't want it any other way.

and,

10. If I couldn't write, I'd be a very unhappy person. It's amazing how much writing has become a part of my life in the years since I started. I can't remember what life was like before I was serious about writing, but I know I wouldn't want to go back to that. I'd feel empty.

What things are you no longer afraid to admit? Give it a try. It's very freeing to be able to admit you're a closet Backstreet Boy junkie. (Okay, maybe.)

Labels:

10Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

Sorry, E. The whole OLD thing isn't going to carry any weight around the rest of us...you're the baby in the family. But of course I think the issues that go along with aging are universal -- because OLD is relative to however old you were before you had another birthday or how old you think you still are in your head or how old you want to be.

As to things that I'm afraid to admit...

The thought of death scares the hell out of me. I've been so fortunate in my life and haven't had to deal with a lot of it, so I'm very uncomfortable with the reality of how fragile life is, how it can be there one moment and gone the next and how you have no control over it.

Creeps me out just thinking about it. I could have a serious anxiety attack if I let myself ponder the subject.

Also, I pretty much hate all holidays. I think that makes me unAmerican or something, so I never mention it and always drudge through the obligatory traditions.

Um, I like the BBB, but I've never been afraid to admit it. :-)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

bchrI'm with J, you're only as old as you feel. And I actually like my 30's more than my 20's.

What am I afraid to admit to? Hmmm.

1) I'm not teaching as well this year as I have in the past. I'm teaching an overload and it's killing me.

2) Um. Um. Um. Okay. I like to watch Bridezillas. The spoiled behavior fascinates me.

3) I don't like the BBB. ACtually, don't like bubblegum pop. But I like raunchy rap sometimes, LOL.

4) I don't like Halloween either. I pay someone to take my kids trick or treating.

5) I go on Harlequin Presents gloms. And Amanda Young m/m romance gloms.

4:26 PM  
Blogger B.E. Sanderson said...

Hmmm. There's not much I'm ashamed or afraid to admit. (Just some things I don't talk about because they're nobody's business. Is that the same thing?)

I admit:
Without a good first cup of coffee in the morning, I am a total bitch on wheels. (The world is safe today. I'm drinking one as I type.)

When I was younger, I wanted to be a truck driver when I grew up. (Remember the TV show 'BJ & the Bear'? I was so there.)

I used to be a tree-hugger. Literally. I went around hugging trees and telling them how lovely they were. I'd get physically ill if I saw a tree being hurt.

Never really got into the BBB. *shrug* But was a metalhead for a couple years. I even attended the first ever 'Monsters of Rock' concert. We who are about to rock, salute you. (Or some such thing) ;o)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Kendra said...

I love country music! It's not country music anymore, it's "southern rock." Everyone at work makes fun of me. But they changed the radio station for my birthday.

Of course all the patients that day said, "What are you listening to? Is THAT country music?"

"Yeah." (roll eyes) "It's Kendra's birthday."

I admit I love my Suburban.
I admit I hate fairs and festivals.
I admit I like erotica.
I admit I'd rather vacation alone than with my kids and husband.
I admit I procrastinate way too much. Like now.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

True, J. I was even going to mention that. How can I be this old when most days I still feel like I'm in my early twenties? Aging is very strange.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who dislikes Halloween. ;) Who thought up a holiday where kids go around begging for candy anyway?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Lin, ROFL. Okay, I'm not *that* bad. I haven't ever paid anyone to take my kids trick-or-treating. (But I have thought it once or twice. LOL)

Rap? Now that's just one thing I can't get into.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

BE...how does one survive without that morning shot of caffeine? That's what I'd like to know. My roomies from Nationals love to immitate my morning stumble from bed, one eye open, hair all over hell and back as I shuffle to find a workign coffee maker. (And they love to immitate this image at all of our chapter meetings for some reason.) Thankfully I have an understanding DH (who has also witnessed this strange phenomenon) who brings me coffee in bed.

A tree-hugger, eh? Do you live in the PNW? You'd fit in well here. When my younger brother lived in downtown Portland he used to go out and march with the protesters just for fun. Didn't matter what they were protesting, he just enjoyed being out there. More often than not it was those darn tree huggers. *wink* I think the elder Pres. Bush once referred to Portland as "Little Beirut". LOL

10:53 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Kendra,

"Southern rock". ROFLMAO. I've never heard it referred to as that.

I remember when I was a teenager and belly-aching about being in the car with my father and having to listen to "country", one day he said to me, "Just you wait. One day you'll love country music. It's inevitable." I nearly puked all over the front seat, and now look at me! (I really hate it when parents are right).

As for your other admissions...

I admit I love my Suburban.

Um, yeah, me too. No way I'm trading mine in anytime soon.

I admit I hate fairs and festivals.

YES! Me too. If I see one, I turn the other way so the Gremlins don't catch on there's one close.

I admit I like erotica.

Uh, yeah, me too, which I think I admitted to earlier.

I admit I'd rather vacation alone than with my kids and husband.

LOL, I have my moments too.

I admit I procrastinate way too much. Like now.

*waving hand* Queen of procrastination here. I won't tell you how many things I've missed because I procrastinate so badly (including a good friend's babyshower one time because I totally spaced it off.)

I knew there was a reason (seems like there are a lot) why I liked you. ;)

10:58 AM  
Blogger B.E. Sanderson said...

LOL... Tree hugger reformed. ;o) Or to paraphrase Monty Python: "I got better".

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

My father listened to country music too. I hated it. Now he complains that country music isn't what it used to be. He mostly listens on Sunday morning when they play the oldies which I still can't stand.

He doesn't appreciate lyrics about being so much cooler online, honkytonk badonkadonk, taking a louisville slugger to both headlights, or saving a horse by riding a cowboy.

Still a generation gap in there somewhere.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home