`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 :~:

I Believe...


In ghosts and spirits and energy fields and karma. I believe in all those intangible paranormal elements you can’t see or qualify, but that have the ability to influence your psyche and your life.

I’ve never experienced anything paranormal first hand. In college I worked as a bookkeeper at a historic local restaurant that had been a rather large house way back in the day. Weekend mornings I’d go in early and tabulate the sales and tips from the night before. I always worked alone in a tiny office upstairs.

Sometimes I’d wander around the restaurant, sneak a piece of their famous mud pie from the huge stainless industrial refrigerators downstairs, draw myself a soda at the fountain. At about ten AM, the prep cook would come in and spend half an hour hitting on me before he got to work.

I found out after a year of working there it was reputed to be haunted. There had been numerous and consistent sightings of translucent figures—men and women—throughout the restaurant, but especially on the stairs and the second floor. After that, I was a little freaked out when I went into work, looking over my shoulder, peeking around corners before I went into the next room, jogging up and down the stairs instead of walking.

What reminded me of this was today’s local paper—again citing incidences at this location past and, evidently, continuing into the present.

I must have lacked some element ghosts look for to show themselves. And I’m not sure whether I’m grateful for that fact or offended.

In the last 5-7 years, I’ve noticed that I occasionally know what a person will say before they say it. Those moments are brief and scattered and wholly unexplainable. Never with someone I know well. Never what one would be expecting them to say. I don’t know it’s coming, the words simply fill my head a second or less before the other person speaks them. There’s no purpose, no hidden message, just the words, which mean nothing more than they were meant to. It happens maybe three times a year.

Okay, so I’m no psychic. But I definitely believe in psychics. I absolutely believe in the varied levels of consciousness (loved, loved, loved Dragonfly with Kevin Costner—if you haven’t seen it, rent it!), and the ability to see into the past and the future. I believe in angels—good and bad.

I draw the line when paranormal meets Sci-fi. I don’t believe in Vampires or Werewolves or demons.

Do you have any ghost stories? Any paranormal abilities? Know anyone with any?
What do you believe?

2Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

No psychic abilities here, and I've never experienced anything paranormal-ish either. But I do believe in the unexplainable - people with pyschic abilities, angels and demons, spirits - good and bad. I also think if you open yourself up to the bad things (demons and bad spirits, etc.) they'll find you. I find it hard to believe that evil forces aren't at work in some of the horrible things (people) that happen in the world.

I loved Dragonfly, too, J. That was a fantastic movie. Another one that I really liked - and which scared me a bit - was the Mothman Prophecy with Richard Gere.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Ooo, E, haven't heard of the Mothman Prophecy. I'll add it to my Q at Netflix. :-)

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home