`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, September 10, 2007 :~:

Theme Songs

I know a lot of writers who can't start a book until they have a title. Some can't write without knowing their characters first, middle and last names. Some can't even begin typing until they've got character sketches done in full. None of those are me.

There is one thing I have to have before I start writing though. A theme song.

Yeah, yeah, I know, call me weird, but with every book I write, there's one song that fits the story to a T. If you listen closely to the lyrics you will see my characters, their struggle and what they're going through. It's different than a playlist. It's one song that is "them". Sometimes I know that song before the story starts, sometimes it comes to me shortly thereafter.

The theme songs for my last few books have been:

DTM:


MMB:


BP:


BTS:


V:


So here I sit, starting a new book. I'm in the middle of chapter two and it's hit me. I don't have a theme song yet! I know before much longer, I'll be on the hunt.

Anyone else out there have theme songs or am I just totally weird? And if you do, share what your theme songs have been.

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger B.E. Sanderson said...

I don't, but that doesn't make you weird. I can totally see that working for you. In fact, there are some books that are linked in my mind with certain songs - sometimes because the song fits the book, and sometimes because it was the song playing the background while I was reading the book. Some things just fit together. =oD

8:59 PM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

I don't need a theme SONG but I need to know what TYPE of songs go with the book. And I don't need it to start - I need to get into the story a bit, wallow around, get to know the characters.

Fun topic!

3:02 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Wow, E, that's pretty cool. I think Linda does theme songs -- Like Georgia Rain for HOTM/Tick&Cait.

There are often songs that I associate with my books or characters, but I've never considered them theme songs -- althought it totally makes sense.

I've often said (mostly to myself and once to you I think) that I wish I could write in a way that made people feel the way I feel when I listen to music.

Those videos are perfect examples -- 2 minutes and you're so caught up in the story you want to know what's happening or what's happened or what's going to happen and you feel the emotions the singers/actors feel.

**Sigh**

Great post.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, thanks, B.E. I think certain songs do just naturally fit certain books - even book I read by other authors.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Mary, I think songs help you get to know your characters. At least they do for me.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Okay. Didn't know Georgia Rain was Tick/Cait's theme song. Going to go listen to it now to see if it fits...

J, that comment you made to me long ago about writing the way music makes you feel has always stuck with me. That's the way I want (and hope) to write as well.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home