`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, July 02, 2007 :~:

Better Late Than Never

Okay, so I officially missed the east coast time zone thing for the blog. It's 9:23 pm here, and I'm just now sitting down at the computer for the day. What ever happened to the lazy dog days of summer??? Being a west coaster, I still have two and a half hours to get it in, though I feel like a major slacker. Apologies to those of you out east.

I could tell you about my frazzled day, about the 8-yr old who decided not to cooperate with the dentist and threw a conniption fit in the chair, about my 5-yr old who doesn't understand older kids don't want to play with a "little" boy, about my 2-yr old who has hit the terrible twos with a shebang. But I'll spare you. ;) Instead, I want to know if you're watching this new reality show, Age of Love?

Anyone who knows me knows I'm NOT a reality show fan. AT ALL. Actually, I despise all reality shows. But tonight (while trying to escape from the kids), I sat on the couch and this show happened to come on. I started watching only because it was the first time I'd sat down all day and I didn't feel like moving. And now I think I might just be hooked.

If you've missed the previews, here's the gist. 30-yr old Australian tennis pro thinks he's going on a regular reality-TV dating show. Surprise? All the women he meets are in their 40s. He's taken aback, but then gets to know them. Not so bad. Then, just as he's settling in with the idea of dating a 40-yr old woman, the producers throw six 20-yr old women into the mix. Cougars vs. Kittens. And rooooowrrrr. The claws come out.

So far, the 40-yr old women are more goal oriented, more down to earth, and a lot more likeable. Sure, the 20-yr old women are skinnier, they like to parade around in bikinis, but are shallow and catty about the older group. Not looking good for the younger girls. At least that's the way it comes off. Of course, the producers spin it the way they want to spin it. And this is a 30-yr old guy after all, so who knows what the hell he's really thinking (or with what).

An interesting show. And it definitely got me thinking about my heroines ages. I tend to make most of my heroines somewhere in their 30s. Maybe because that's where I'm at age-wise. What about the rest of you? Do you like to read/write books with heroines in their 20s, 30s, 40s or older? Why? And is anyone watching Age of Love? If so, tell me what you think.

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

Dang, I missed it! I saw the previews and was wondering if the older woman would come off as more mature and less catty- sounds like I was right.

My heroines tend to be in there late teens to early twenties only because I write historicals and unless they were a widow or had something major wrong with them a woman back then was married. But the next book I'm writing has a widow with two kids as the heroine and I've actually been excited to write this one, just because she is an older woman and one who has had kids, making her in my opinion more realistic.

I read a great book by LaVyrle Spencer before I hit the age of 40 and the heroine was in her 40's with two teenage daughters. It was a very poignant book. I loved how the romance progressed and the feelings they had. There was no lust involved- but the emotions told it all.

Interesting blog, and I will have to make a point of watching the next episode.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, I thought it was interesting that when the first 20-something was voted off, she hugged the guy then just walked off screen. When the first 40-something was voted off, she hugged the guy, then went around and hugged each of the other 40-something women. She'd developed a stronger bond with them because they were more real, and it showed.

Now the 40-somethings and the 20-somethings are living together in the same house. It's like a train wreck, you know? You just can't not watch. LOL

9:40 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Great topic, Elisabeth. I saw the previews and thought the show looked interesting. I might have to start watching it. Sounds like it'd be fun. :)

When I'm reading, age doesn't really matter to me if the story is a good one. Although I have to say, I have a lot more trouble relating to single twenty-somethings now than when I first started reading romance. LOL

When I write, my heroines tend to be in their early thirties since that's where I am right now. When I started writing I wrote a couple of heroines in their early twenties, but I can't really bring myself to do that anymore.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Elisa, I write mostly late-20-something or 30-something heroines. Probably because they tend to have more concrete life experiences that shape their characters.

Of course, I'm not against 20-something characters as long as they're grounded.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I'm with you on reality shows, E.

As for heros and heroines...I tend to write in the 30's. I'm 42 myself, but if I could pick a perfect age to stay forever, it would be 32. Out of the turbulent 20's before the excessively burdened 40's. JMO, of course.

It's hard for me to write 20's heroines, because I've met so few mature women who would qualify as a heroine at that age. So, if I use someone 27, 28, 29, I make sure I give them a backstory that ensures the level of maturity their actions require.

That said, we have a new girl at work. She's 24. When I heard that, I rolled my eyes -- oh, great. A flighty twenties something just out of school, she'll never fit in.

But she did...immediately. She's level-headed, pleasant, mature, responsible. We love her!

So...I guess enough said, huh? :-)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Excellent post! I was writing books about heroines in their 30s, when at a chapter meeting, a very attractive member said she writes books about women in their 40s because she doesn't want to read about younger women. That made me think there's a market for older heroines. Look at the Hot Flash Club and the Red Hat Club books.

I wrote a WF with 3 women of different ages. My next book will feature an older and a younger heroine too. I'm rewriting a book I originally wrote 2 years ago, so the heroine in this one is 34--but I'm eager to get back to my older heroine.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home