`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Friday, July 06, 2007 :~:

Book Warnings

In case you've never browsed the selections at Samhain, each information page on a book includes warnings. It's a neat idea, if you think about it -- might keep you from buying a book you'd toss at the wall or it might induce you to buy a book.

For the most part, the "warnings" are pretty standard: explicit sex, male-male sex, explicit language, violence, etc.

So I was participating in an author chat at Fallen Angels Reviews last night and we began talking about those warnings, specifically because an author directed us to her "humorous" warning about crispy villagers (it's a dragon book). Anyway, someone commented that the more creative warnings induced her to buy the books.

Now, I've seen male-male romances tagged as "hot nekkid man love," which I'm sure lures in more readers than "male-male sex."

To that end, since I'm promo-obsessed lately anyway, I thought I'd work on revamping my warnings for future books.

Instead of "mature language," I'm going to use "Lots of cussing. Perhaps even gratuitious use of the F-bomb."

For "explicit sex?" Hot naked loving! Or for one certain book, "hot naked loving with . . ." (Wait. Can't finish that. Connie visits me here and if Connie is reading it . . . my students might find their way over here . . .). Use your imagination. ;-)

A little violence involved? How about a warning that says "an ass-kicking good read"? Or "dastardly villain injured in this book!"

What do you think? And do you have suggestions for warnings you'd like to see on books before you buy?

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFLMAO. I hope explicit sex involves hot naked loving. ;)

I actually like those warnings at Sahmain. Gives you a good idea what's in the book. With epubs you can't pick up the book and leaf through it to see what's in there (which is what I do in the bookstore. Pick a page here and there and skim it). So, I have to admit I've been disappointed and irritated the few other times I've bought from epubs that don't have that warning.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Well, there could be hot partially-clothed loving. ;-) I have a scene in MOU where the heroine gets naked, but all the hero loses is his tie.

I like them, too, E, for that very reason. There was a long talk the other day on the SP author loop about the concept of "forced seduction" in romance and I can really see where having that in the warnings might keep someone from buying something they really didn't want to read.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Those warnings are great. :) I love the funny ones...but I'm not really creative as far as the warnings go, so my Samhain books get a pretty dull warning label. My upcoming one is the most boring so far (warning: explicit sex) but I didn't write it so I can't claim credit for it. LOL

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home