`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 :~:

When Life Overwhelms

I had another topic slotted for today's post -- character consistency and how it lives at the core of a good novel.

But life overwhelmed me. I didn't get it written. And today, as I head off to another ten hours at the day job (filling in for a sick coworker), I considered copping out of the blog altogether. There are moments when you just can't do it all.

But, instead, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to reach out to all of you who deal with the same things on a daily basis--work, husbands, kids, laundry, PTA, extended family, friends, health, grocery shopping...etc.--and see how you handle life when it overwhelms.

We all come to some level of comfort in our lives. We have to. At some point we learn how to say no, to juggle responsibility with passion, to seek a happy medium.

I'm a little like the injured human body when life comes at me at sixty miles per hour--I back off any unnecessary activity and focus on the basics of repair the way the blood rushes to a bodily injury to provide oxygen and nutrients in an effort to cure.

(That's why there are stacks--and I mean STACKS--of laundry everywhere, why there's no decent food in the house, why I planned to back out of the blog today, etc.)

Hopefully, next week things will slow down and I can spread myself out again.

Share with us how YOU do it. How you fit your passion of writing in when life comes at you at sixty-miles per hour.

Labels:

9Comments:

Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Sometimes I just have to let it go. I've learned that forcing myself through only results in bad writing for me.

However, carving out a little time to write -- even if it's only fifteen or twenty minutes -- sometimes works as a mini-escape from life. That's actually what I'm up to tonight, trying to finish a scene in my WIP as a break from the myriad responsibilities of school right now.

I hope things even out for you soon!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

That's how it's been for me the last few days. I've been determined to write, but I'm making half my goal. I'm not banging my head against wall about it. Some days are like that.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Joan,

You're describing how I've been feeling for the last two months. LOL

I tend to really pull in and just concentrate on surviving. Getting through the hectic periods. I've been working 8-10 hour days, 7 days since close to mid Febuary. Plus-- there was the moving and then removing on top of that. Then cleaning. And then putting a fence in and rebuilding the kennel complete with the patio brick floor and full roof.

I tend to concentrate on one project at a time. Just get it done and out of the way. But I only concentrate on the things that have to be done.

I knew it was going to be bad. So I gave myself permision to not even worry about the writing until after the overtime and moving was finished. I haven't even tried to write, nor have I been feeling guilty about it. Worrying about would have been the straw that would have broken my back.

I'm happy to report the improvements are pretty much all done now. I'm all moved in and last weekend was my last weekend of working my days off. The writing-- or I should say revisions-- will start this Sat. I'm going to print the book off tomorrow to read it all in one huge gulp.

My advice, is to just keep your head down and plug away. Don't let yourself fall into the guilt trap. If you can't blog the world won't fall apart. And we'll still be waiting for you when you do have the time again.

We'll keep the lights on for you!!

Good luck

9:20 PM  
Blogger Laurie Wood said...

Joan, sorry to hear what life's dealt you recently. I know I can't write through family crisis - been there, failed at that - and I try and write every day that "something" isn't going on! I hope you get back on track soon...

BTW, I tagged you on my blog today, for the "Thinking Bloggers Award". You can post back to me to see if you want this Award on your group blog or not. (and, I actually finished that chapter I sent to you a few weeks ago! - like I said, family crisis and all that...)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Linda - I love that: A mini escape from life. I often find myself writing in twenty minute intervals, usually while I'm waiting for my kids somewhere.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Theresa -- good advice. Sounds like we operate on similar survival modes!

Glad things are evening out for you.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Laurie -

Hey - thanks for the Thinking Blogger Award. Spy tagged me for that award on my personal site a few days ago, and I have to say it's a high compliment to be thought of as someone whose comments are thought provoking. Only thing I can think that would top that is to have fan mail from a published book. :-)

It took me forever to figure out which five blogs to pick -- so many good ones out there.

I know how that crisis thing goes. Fortunately, this has just been one of those months I can't catch up from. Our crisises (is that a word?) tend to stem from finances. I have to pick up hours at work or spend more time at the torch or doing things that save us money. I'd rather have that than a health or family crisis - although any crisis affects everything else.

Congrats on finishing up that chapter!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Edie - I'm with you in spirit!! We'll plug away together via cyberspace. :-)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Laurie Wood said...

Hi Joan - you're quite welcome with that Award. And btw, congratulations on finaling in the Daphne!! Here's hoping you win the category, and find a buyer for that book.

And I know all about financial crisis' - I just starting working at Wal Mart for 24 hrs a week. More time management needed for writing now! :)

Can you plse email me from my blog? I have a quick question for you (and no, it doesn't involve critiquing! :) )

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home