`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, May 28, 2007 :~:

Children in Fiction

Happy Memorial Day to everyone, albeit a little late. Sorry I was MIA. We went away for the weekend and I only just got home this evening. Whew. I'm tired. It was a fun weekend, but lots of work with the kids. As I've said before, a vacation with the kids may be a blast, but for the parents, it's definitely not relaxing.

I started reading a book this weekend that has kids in it. Twin four-year olds. Because I have a newly-turned five-year-old son myself, I easily related to everything the heroine was going through with her boys. The author's descriptions were really great, especially of the boys bouncing off the walls, chaos running supreme, followed by the heroine losing it with them, cooling down, then going back in to apologize to the little devils for nearly blowing a gasket (been there, done that). As well-written as the book was though, I found my mind wandering. See, I LIVE that myself every day, and it's nothing new. If anything, it reminds me of the power-struggle I had with the five-year-old fifteen minutes ago when he wanted to play PlayStation and I told him time was up.

We've had discussions here about why you pick up a book in the first place. Some people do it to escape from real life. Some people do it for entertainment. Whatever the reason, in this case, reading about other parents' kid-struggles isn't escapism for me and it definitely isn't entertainment. For someone who doesn't have kids? Probably a completely different thought process going on.

Do you like reading or writing books with kids in them? I have writer-friends who say they love kids, that they're part of everyday life, therefore they like to write books with kids in them. I like kids too, but I find myself changing my thinking as my kids go from one stage to the next. When I had one child, my books (reading and writing) included a token child in it somewhere. But now that I have three and my life is spent chasing them (and they are young and rambunctious right now, so maybe that has something to do with it), I find I choose books with no kids, or I write books with no kids. For me, that's the escapism. I love my children, but sometimes I need a few minutes away from all that motherhood stuff.

What about you?

Labels:

8Comments:

Blogger Linda Winfree said...

It really doesn't matter to me -- I can read or write books with children in them. It all depends on whether they serve a purpose -- characterization, furthering the plot, etc.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I'm along the same lines with Lin.

I guess it depends on my mood -- do I need a total escape? A adventure romance set in say...Jamaica *vbg*...would be the ticket. Do I need a break from my everyday hum-drum, but can't afford to let my mind wander to Jamaica (I might let it stay there)? I don't mind reading about other childen and their antics. (Key there: other children)

Heck, I welcome the opportunity to 1) watch (and laugh at) someone elses struggles so similar to mine, 2) take comfort knowing I'm not alone in all this.

Let's just say that the fact that there are children in a book won't keep me from picking it up and if the description shows the kids involved in a unique or challenging way, it would make an even more compelling reason to buy.

You probably couldn't tell in my post that I write children into my stories, right?

7:51 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

I agree. Sometimes I don't mind books with children in them, and sometimes I avoid them. During the summer, when the kids are home all day, I tend to avoid them more often. *g*

I've written very few books with children. No specific reason, just that I find it harder to write children into a book since the adult characters have to be a lot more careful about what they say and do.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

I have written books with kids, but the kids tend to be older -- preteen to teenagers. I think that's because I'm around that age group all day and feel like I can portray them realistically.

Only one book with an actual baby who *really* gets screen time. The other "with kids" books had two thirteen-year-olds and a sixteen-year-old.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Actually, Lin. I think that's the difference here. I've written books with teenagers when it was crucial to the plot, and I've even written books with kids. The difference is now, while my kids are little (and so busy), I find myself including kids less and less in my work. I'm sure it's related to how flustered (and exhausted) they make me during the day.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Elisa, very true. You have to be careful about what your characters do and say with kids around.

I think another reason I tend not to include kids is because lately my RS's are faster paced/search/run for your life kind of books. And it's kinda hard to run from the bad guys when you're lugging a car seat around with you. ;) Kids also sorta get in the way of the whole "love scene" thing. ROFL

9:15 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

J, you do kids well. :) But I can't remember if I've ever read a book of your that included LITTLE children.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

I write kids in my books. Usually 8-12 year olds. You don't have to deal with the toddler/baby issues at those ages, yet they make for great chaperons, some levity, and in some cases great in sight.

And writing historical, the children had a place and knew it.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home