`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 :~:

Reading Habits

I'm on a break from writing for the next day or two, and I've been catching up on some reading. There are a few books I've been dying to read, but haven't had the time until now. Like a lot of writers, I'm also a big reader. My bookshelves are overflowing, and my TBR pile is generally huge, no matter how many books I read every month, because I'm usually (and a bit compulsively) buying more.

When I first started writing, I remember hearing that writers should read in the genre they're writing in, to get a feel for the market and to see what's selling at the moment. I do this, to a point, but usually I seek out books that are different from what I'm writing at the moment. I like a change of pace sometimes. If I'm writing something really dark, I usually pick up a comedy to read. If I'm writing a romantic comedy, I tend to grab a Greg Isles or Nelson DeMille book off my shelf.

I don't usually go by book reviews when I buy since taste is so subjective (and I tend to read some pretty oddball books), but I find if there's a lot of online controversy about a book, I'm more compelled to pick it up and see what the fuss is all about.

Do you read what you're writing, or look for something else? Do you read reviews before purchasing? How big is your TBR pile?

4Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I generally read in my genre - or if out of my genre, at least something with some sort of suspense thread. I never read reviews as opinions are so varied, but pay attention to what other writers are talking about - who's hot, which books are getting attention, etc. And I have a couple of friends who know what I like, so when they tell me they've read something great, I know I'll usually like it.

Great post, Elisa. Enjoy your reading time. I'm jealous! I'm mired down in the WIP and determined to push through.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I'm a sporadic reader. And, unfortunately, I'm terribly picky. I get bored easily and find myself skimming. The last book I really read w/o skimming was Roxanne St. Claire's Dangerous Curves, and I have to admit, I did skim at the end. The best one I'd read before that was Tami Hoag's Kill the Messenger -- but I listened to that on book tape, and when I bought the book and started reading it, I found it much harder to stay interested.

Consequently, I don't read as much as I should or even as much as I would like. And my TBR pile is more of a To Be Finshed (Read) pile.

I'm the opposite of E...she compulsively reads to the end, and I rarely make it to the end.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

I read anything and everything. I don't generally read a lot of my genre (although my next TBR book is in my genre, kinda). I end up reading a lot of books for school. Also, I tend to pick books because of word-of-mouth -- I read The Bitch Posse because I'd read about if on Alison Kent's blog. If you look in my Amazon cart right now, half the books are there because someone somewhere was talking or writing about them.

And I concur with E -- enjoy your reading! I'm reading research papers this week. Sigh.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

J, I'm usually a compulsive reader, too. I can only think of 2 books I haven't finished...and the one I'm reading right now might end up being the third. I'm also pretty much always reading if I'm sitting down and not working. LOL I do skim a lot, though, if the book isn't really keeping my attention.

Eli, good luck with the WIP. :) I finished my last contracted book for Samhain last week, so I need a break. I need a little downtime in between books to recharge, especially if I crank a book out way too fast because I'm backed up against a deadline (because I put off writing the book for way too long...LOL...which I'm really trying to stop doing)

Lin, ugh on the research papers. I've got Anna Campbell's Claiming the Courtesan in my Amazon cart right now, because of all the buzz it's gotten lately. I don't often read historicals, but I've heard so much about this one that I want to get it and see if it's as controversial as everyone seems to be saying.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home