`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 :~:

Writers' Block

I've been sitting at the computer for an hour, staring at the blank cursor, trying to think of something to blog about today. It was a long weekend (big snowstorm on Friday, unhappy shovel accident on Saturday morning :grin:) and I find when I'm stressed, the ideas seem to be harder to come by, whether it's in blogging or in writing. Some people work well under pressure. Usually, I'm not one of them. The harder I try to force something, the harder it is to get it done.

I read on an agent's blog a while back that writers' block doesn't exist. I find that interesting. Even if it is all in our heads :lol:, to me, that's still real. It's not always that I don't want to write, it's that I don't know what to write about. I have the motivation, but not the ideas for the story...or the idea of where a story is going next so I can take it where it needs to go.

What do you guys think? Does writers' block exist? Have you experienced it? If so, how do you get past it? I usually read in a genre that isn't what I'm writing at the moment, or I deep-clean the house from top to bottom and hope the exercise shakes something loose.

4Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

Hi Elisa,

I just read a great article on this subject.

Occasionally I'll be completely tapped out -- like you described, utterly blank. Like you, that happens when I'm stressed, as if turmoil and worry swell my thought pathways and keep the ideas from coming through.

But most of the time when I get stuck (like I am right now in my WIP) it's because I've written myself into a place I didn't expect and I'm not sure either where to take it next or whether this unexpected place isn't where I should have gone in the first place--sorta like a dead end in a maze.

Here's the article url. Worth a quick read.

Regain Your Creativity in One Week

11:10 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm a definate believer in writers block.

What I don't believe is that the block happens because there are no ideas left. I think they happen for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes you can just be creatively spent-- so the ideas are there, but beneath this layer of exhaustion and actually writing something feels like way to much mental work.

Other times I think fear can block us. I ran into an ugly monster of writers block that I'm positive was fear induced.

And then there is what Joan is talking about, where you write yourself into a corner and have to give your subconscious mind some time to work things out again.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Kait Nolan said...

I think it depends on what you call writers block. Some writers would say that it doesn't exist because you can always work on something (and they class the "something" as revisions, rewriting, working on another piece entirely). But if you're talking as in you sit down at the keyboard and there's just...nothing--heck yeah, it exists (it's like I once heard my father in law say that willpower is a figment of our imaginations in reference to dieting...this from a man who has never had to use it). Writer's block could, perhaps, be thought of as a very specific form of conversion disorder (and I use the term loosely)--there's something underlying the fact that there are no words. Be it that you wrote yourself into a corner, a new character has popped up and said "hey look at me!" and you're scratching your head about "where did you come from and what do I do with you?", you're exhausted, stressed, or any other of numerous reasons.

When I'm stuck I tend to either work on something else entirely, edit and rehash, flat out reread what came before to see where I derailed my plot, clean obsessively, or just say screw it and go do something else and come back tomorrow.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I don't think I've ever experienced "true" writer's block where there's absolutely nothing happening in my brain (knock on wood), though I don't doubt it exists. Those times I'm not able to write, it's usually one of three things. 1)I've written myself into a corner, like J mentioned, 2) I'm trying to force something that just isn't working or 3) I'm exhausted or bored with what I'm doing.

I tend to be the opposite of you though, Elisa. Reading IN my genre usually stimulates my creative juices and gets me back to writing, as does reading authors who have similar voices to my own.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home