`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Thursday, March 29, 2007 :~:

Transitions

I've been suffering from a serious lack of concentration lately.

Take this blog for example-- for the life of me, I couldn't think of anything to write about. Or maybe I should clarify, I couldn't think of anything writing related to blog about. Plenty of other subjects came to mind, like decorating, or gardening or even cooking. (God Help me, since I don't/can't cook) But a topic on writing simple wouldn't come to mind.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I've haven't written a word in over six weeks. I've been moving instead. Packing and cleaning and unpacking and more cleaning. My new office space was the first thing I put together, not that I've used it. I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been working a ton of overtime to pay for some home improvements to my new house. I haven't had a day off in over six weeks and I'm averaging 60 hours a week. Which is 60 hours too much, to my mind at the moment. Trying to work the moving around the working, has been hectic. . . well more than hectic--but I can't think of a strong enough adverb at the moment to describe how crazy the last few weeks have been.

So yeah, I can understand why I don't have the energy left over to fit some writing in-- honestly, I never expected to accomplish much on that end, at least not during the move. But my schedule has eased up some. The packing, hauling, and unpacking is mostly done. Just a few boxes left to empty and I'll be fully moved in. I've still got a ton of cleaning left to do on the old place, but that isn't as wearing as lifting and hauling the heavy furniture and boxes. And I've eased back on my work schedule too. Dropped back to four hours on Saturday and Sunday instead of the eight I'd been working. Plus, no more back to back shifts during the middle of the week.

So, with my load lightening, last night I decided to print off the first few chapters of the WIP and read them in preparation for upcoming revisions. You'll notice i didn't say I was going to try to write. Nope-- I was just going to read what I've already written. Except, I couldn't even accomplish that.

I'd sit down and start reading and my mind would wonder. I needed to do this, or I needed to do that. And wouldn't a framed quilt make a gorgeous headboard. And that little sliver of ground beneath the living room window would make a perfect flower bed. But hmmmmm....what should I plant there.

Okay-- now see--here's the problem. I've never been interested in decorating or gardening, yet lately, since the move, that's all I seem to think about. Instead of daydreaming about characters and love stories, I'm day dreaming about furniture and flowers. It's unsettling.

My crit partner calls it nesting. And she should know since she's been going through it too, after moving into her new house.

My question is how do you make it stop? How do you turn your attention and concentration back to more important matters-- like plots and characters? Anyone have any advice, because nothing I've tried seems to be working.

11Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

The only thing I can think of to make it stop, is indulge. Once you plant those plants, maybe the urge to do it and the accompanying thoughts will ease.

Good luck!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I agree with J. Feed your craving. You just moved into a new house, give yourself some time to make all the changes you want. Until you do, your brain won't be focused onw riting, and that's just not something you can force (at least, I can't).

Congrats on the new place, and good luck with the wip!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Theresa, like Joan and Eli said, take a writing break until the writing itch comes back again. Maybe when you're doing the gardening, you'll get an idea for the book that you can't wait to write down.

As for the framed-quilt headboard, I think it will look gorgeous! And your kitty will think it's a great scratching post. LOL

6:43 AM  
Blogger Kait Nolan said...

I agree with everyone else. I went through that phase when we bought (and renovated) our house. I'm one of those obsessive people who HAVE to have everything unpacked and in its place before I can even THINK about anything else and get any good writing done. So nest away and make it a space conducive to writing. The plotting bug will return in time.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Joan,

I love it, guilt free self indulgence. lol

I'm going to tackle the flower beds tomorrow morning.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Eli,

My brain certainly isn't focused on writing at the moment. It's very focused on extra storage and more lightening though. (grin

You know I realized today I haven't even been into my office in almost a week. Now that's scary-- I used to live at my computer desk.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Edie,

It's a four-way consenses--which means you guys must be right. lol

As for the quilted headboard, its going to be gorgeous-- I can picture it so clearly in my mind.

As for the kitty-- luckily the old guy had been declawed before I picked him up from the pound. He tries to sharpen his non-existent claws. Only he just sort of slides around the floor. lol Poor guy, he doesn't realize how silly he looks.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Maggie,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only compulsive writer. I have to have everything in order around me too. Neat and tidy, that way I'm not compelled to clean up before getting the my hours down.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle Diener said...

Theresa, this is YOUR house, not someone elses. Of course you want to make it beautiful. Just go for it, let loose and decorate your house until you're happy. Then I'm sure that office will be calling you back.

12:23 AM  
Blogger LaDonna said...

I agree, Theresa! I see so many things I need to do with Spring coming...the windows are a little cloudy, little fuzzy balls sticking here and there. lol. Funny how I'd love a nudge in the nesting direction about now! And try not to worry, those characters will start bugging you soon enough. You were born to write, girlfriend!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Chiming in with my agreement here. Theresa, do what you have the urge to do. Writing can wait a little while. :)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home