`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 :~:

Pushing the Boundries

I'm working on Dead Man's Hand. More than revision, but less than writing from scratch. I guess I'd call it rewriting.

And I'm noticing that this manuscript is different than my others. Not drastically different--it's still romantic suspense, still my typical 125k, there's still cops and murderers and crime scenes and forensics and red herrings.

But the other day I wrote an entire chapter--20 pages--in the hero's pov. The next chapter--another 20 pages--is entirely in the heroine's pov.

As a younger writer, I wouldn't have done that. I'd have broken the chapters up, added povs to keep up the pace. Now, I'm using other techniques to keep the tension high which automatically speeds the pace up. Neither technique is right or wrong, good or bad, just different.

I'm also using a lot more dialogue in this ms. Dialogue that is bursting with conflict, characterization, clues, quips, sarcasm and emotion. That automatically picks up the pace.

And I'm holding a lot back--both plot and character history--letting things unfold, not necisarily slower, but little by little and later in the story.

Of course, I won't know if it really works until I reread it, revise it and pass it by my CPs, my agent and ultimately sell. But I'm excited to have reached a maturity level as a writer to be able to look at my work, nudge the rules aside and try something new with confidence.

What new things have you tried with your writing that has worked...or not worked? When did you find confidence to take that risk and push your boundries in writing?

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

The only new thing I can think of is having more patience with revisions and digging deeper with my emotions.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Joan, the newest thing I'm doing is sticking to my strength--relationships. Before I was so worried about having enough plot, I stuck everything in my books.

I like what Paty says about digging deeper with my emotions. That's exactly what I did with this last book.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

The 5th book I wrote. I finally let my voice shine through on the page instead of holding back. It's made all the difference in my writing.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Paty--

Patience with revisions...that I'd like to hear more about!! I've gone nearly insane with revisions, but still haven't quite developed the patience for them.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Edie--

That's something I need to think about more. What are my strengths? And write deeper into those while cultivating my weaknesses but not focusing on them.

Great point.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

E--

I haven't quite figured out how to do that. In fact, I'm sure I haven't even found my deepest, strongest voice yet. I often find myself trying to hard to hone it and hear it. Yet, can't quite keep myself from doing that, which of course interferes.

Sigh. Time. I guess I need more time.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home