`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 :~:

The Big Picture

Honestly, I haven't had much trouble with bad advice...but that's probably only because I rarely listen to it--good or bad.

I'm not sure why. Must just be part of my personality because I've been like this since I was a kid--didn't heed my parents' warnings, didn't learn from my siblings' mistakes, didn't follow my friends' paths. I'm a pretty mainstream type of gal. I just do things my own way, in my own time.

This is the typical pattern I follow with advice: Listen to it, cull the bullshit, research the rest, take the bits and pieces that fit me under consideration.

Most of the time, the dis-information in our industry is so glaring, it doesn't even glance off my brain, just blows right by. But I did hear something recently that isn't as much dis-information as it is shortsighted--focusing in on the trees and ignoring the forest.

I can't remember the exact wording, but it went something like: Promotion is the last thing an unpublished author should be thinking about. The tone said that promotion is a waste of time for the unpublished.

That gave me pause. I actually thought about this. I even considered it. But the reason I considered it wasn't so much the merit of the idea, but the source--a well-known, successful author (who does little individual promotion, btw).

After the thought flowed through my brain synapses a few hundred times, it was culled.

That's like opening your own business without doing any market research.

That's like buying a car and then taking driving lessons.

That’s like jumping on a plane to India without studying the culture.

IMHUO, a writer needs to know about that next step, so that when they sell, they're ready to take it without hesitation. Imagine all the wrong moves a newly published author could make in promotion if they hadn't done their research and tested the waters beforehand.

Planning for the big picture is not only solid common sense, but good business--no matter what industry.

We're cross blogging this week with Romance Unleashed on the topic of "dis-information", so pop over and see what Lori Devoti has to say about The Inside Scoop.

Labels:

8Comments:

Blogger Sally MacKenzie said...

Great post, Joan. Promotion is a hot topic among the published folks, too. How much is enough? Should you do any at all? The thing is, no one can say with any real authority that author promotion helps sell books (or books in any quantity to make a difference)--but no one can say it doesn't either. So this is my take on promo:
1. Have a professional looking website. I'm not convinced that you have to have the very expensive, all the bells and whistle site, but it needs to look professional. It's a way for readers to find you. Most of my fan mail comes as email through my site.
2. After the website, everything else is speculation, so do what your budget permits and what you enjoy. DO know your print run, however--or at least a ball park figure--before you open your wallet and keep that in mind when planning promo. If there's only going to be 5,000 of your books out there, don't bother with promo--people won't be able to find your book anyway.
3. The best promo is coop from the publisher--real estate--placement in the bookstore. Authors can't afford that.
4. The best promo is writing your next great book, so don't let promotion keep you from writing--and believe me, the risk is there!
Now, I don't think any of this is dis-information, but I'm sure the other Unleashed will let me know if they think so!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Lori Devoti said...

Like all dis-information there is a grain of truth somewhere in there. For this one, I think it's that the most important thing is to be working on writing--writing more and writing better. So, I'd guess the author in question assumed if an unpubbed writer was promoting, she was stealing the time from her writing.
To be honest, this can be good advice for pubbed authors too. It really is easy to get carried away trolling myspace or designing your own book trailers--when really what would help you out the most in the long run is to work on another book.
But as always, it's individual and no one else can say what is best for you. That's always the final measuring stick.
:)
Lori
http://www.loridevoti.com
p.s. Like right now...I should be writing...

8:31 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Sally,

I think that's what frustrates me the most about promotion -- no direct link to guage effectiveness. In most marketing pushes you've got numbers to refer back to, a guide to let you know how your efforts are affecting sales. Seems that hard to do with publishing.

Good info on the print run. I'll tuck that away for future reference.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Lori,

I think that's what the author was getting at, although it sounded a little preachy at the time. I absolutely agree that the writing comes first - the craft, the storytelling, the character development, etc. I'm a huge proponent of putting out the best you can put out--first and foremost. I'm also a big proponent of planning ahead and knowing what lies in your path.

One can only write so many hours of the day...we've all got to check on our cyber friends now and then, right? :-)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Found this quote listed on Running With Quills today...it said something I was trying to say in my post (but so much more eloquently)...

“Before you build a better mousetrap, it helps to know if there are any mice out there.”

—Mortimer B. Zuckerman.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle Pillow said...

Great post topic :)

IMHO, I think new authors/aspirings don't think about promotion enough and then that contract/release/what-have-you hits and they're left clueless on how to start. I know before publication I rarely thought about marketing a book, I just wrote. So when publication came, it was a trial by fire. Luckily it worked out, but I'm a researcher and in hide sight, that's not how I'd have done it. (And that's not saying I'm a promo guru by any means--I'm always trying and learning)

But, I think it just goes back to what works for one, doesn't work for another.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yes, I get this. And it's a great post, J. But it still mind-boggles me to some degree. As a yet-unpubbed, promotion is one of the farthest things from my mind, and by promotion I mean promoting books that are not yet sold. I suppose blogging/being active in my chapter/putting myself out there so my name is more widely known is a form of promotion, though it doesn't feel like it to me quite yet.

I hear a lot about this in my writer circles, and frankly, I still feel relatively clueless about all things promotion-related. I'm just glad I have you around to lead me by the nose. ;)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I hear you, E. And I think I've been using the term promotion synonymously with networking. I think of promotion as name recognition, identification of myself as an author as opposed to one particular book.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home