`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Friday, February 16, 2007 :~:

Reading Reasons

As I've been reading the comments to various posts here at Romance Worth Killing For, I've noticed many references to reading for "escape." That interests me because I read for many reasons, but escape really isn't one of them.

I'm a voracious reader, who reads across many forms and genres. I read for information, entertainment and education. To me, entertainment doesn't quite equal escape.

Do you read for escape? Or for other reasons? Or both? If you do define your reading as "escape reading," what exactly does that mean?

Labels:

11Comments:

Blogger Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

I would definitely say both. I read for fun and knowledge and sometimes the books, especially romances, provide escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. And that's one of the reasons I love to read so much

11:26 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Me, too. Both. :) I read for entertainment first and foremost, because I enjoy reading more than watching TV. But there are a lot of times I'll pick up a book because it is an escape - a chance to live a life very much unlike mine. A life without dirty dishes and piles of laundry and three kids constantly asking, "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy????"

11:52 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Eli, I think you've nailed why I never really think of reading as "escape": "a chance to live a live very much unlike mine."

When I read, I don't tend to "live" the lives of the characters. I'm along for the ride, but I always remain outside the book, if that makes sense. I think it's the English major in me, LOL.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

When I read non-fiction, it always seems to be related to writing -- so there I'm reading for information.

But when I pick up a novel, it's totaly escape -- escape from daily problems, stresses, complications. I do live the life of the character. I'm in their skin (if the author allows, of course). And it's the thrill of...as E said...living a life very much UNlike my own.

:-)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Interesting, Lin. What's even funnier is I never feel like I'm living the character when I read first person - only third. First person is so intrusive on "me" that I immediately think, "Oh, I would never do that," and it ruins that "escape" for me. But third person? For some reason, I get dragged into the story and then I do live it.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

I read for entertainment, and I read compulsively. :lol: If I'm sitting down on the couch, I have a book in my hands. TV doesn't hold my interest--even during the commercials, I have to get up and walk around the house, but when I'm reading I can sit still for a while and just enjoy it.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I read for several reasons: entertainment, escape, knowledge, etc. But first and foremost is pure pleasure and I'm totally immersed in that world and those characters (yes, author allowing). So for me, that's the 'escape'.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Danita Cahill said...

I read for entertainment. I enjoy reading more than watching TV too. I like the written word, the images it conjures, more than being forced to "see" the story through the eyes of a director or cameraman. My favorite POV is first person. And I like to read about people who are similar to me, only bigger than life with a little more adventure in their world than I care to live (usually). So, I guess I don't read to escape, just to enhance.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I read for enjoyment and/or knowledge. At one time I might have read for escape, but not now.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Oh, Danita, I like that concept: reading to "enhance"!

Edie, you sound like me. :-)

Maybe I'm not an escapist? ;-)

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home