`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Friday, December 29, 2006 :~:

Ah, the Peril!

You know, plotting to kill people is hard.

It's not just enough to have an opportunity or a method.

It's that darn motive.

It's understanding forensics and how investigative technique works.

I was telling my best friend earlier today that I must be utterly twisted, because one of the reasons I watch so much Court TV, Dateline, 48 Hours Hard Evidence and other documentaries about the evils humans do to one another is so I can write about it.

Because I make up murders all the time.

I have to understand how people kill.

Why they kill.

And what the police do afterwards.

My husband came home last night to find me on the couch, typing away. He barely got an acknowledgement of his arrival, because I was busy killing someone. He knows not to interrupt when I'm going like that. He knows I'll start asking questions about law enforcement or shove the laptop under his nose to check my reality-quotient.

Poor guy probably wishes he'd never gone into law enforcement.

Or married a crazy English teacher who plots murders for fun and profit.

I've heard writers claim that love scenes are notoriously difficult to write, as are gripping emotional moments and beginning and ending scenes. You know, I tend to have a grip on those.

It's plotting out those darned murders.

And making sure the killer gets caught, leaving clues for the reader along the way.

What's your most difficult thing to write?

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

Sex scenes used to be easy to write. But after writing, er, lots of them over the course of 8 novels, it's tough to get original. Hard to keep the emotion there, the intensity fresh. Go figure.

Although, I also find other types of scenes difficult in their own way--transitions without boredom, action that's gripping and realistic, emotion that's true to the character and the situation.

I'm finding that writing for me is getting harder the longer I do it.

Why, why, why is that?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Augh, I hate transitions!

Love scenes I don't seem to have a problem with -- mine usually seem to grow out of the unique people the characters are.

I have to work hard at not repeating plot twists.

And I feel like my characters spend a lot of time riding around in cars talking about case clues!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I don't mind writing love scenes, either. As long as my kids aren't running around distracting me. ;)

I tend to struggle with scene endings sometimes, making sure there's enough of a hook to make the reader want to turn the page, and action scenes - keeping them fast paced, but with enough detail to ground the reader in the scene.

J...as to your question...a friend of mine who's pubbed 30+ books said the same thing to me the other day...that it gets harder the more she writes. The only answer I can see is that we put pressure on ourselves to make the next book better than the last, so there's that internal struggle to work harder and challenge ourselves. And really, if it weren't a challenge, would you do it? I know I wouldn't. The ever-raising bar is what keeps me working harder from one book to the next.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home