`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, October 23, 2006 :~:

That Irritating Little Thing Called: Real Life

It seems posting late is the name of the game around here. If you're like me - anticipating updates or blog posts or emails - that bugs you. And it especially bugs you when you are the one to blame.

It's almost 6PM here on the West Coast, and I'm just now sitting down to blog. Why? Real Life got in my way today. A hectic morning of errands followed by a preschool field trip that took up more time than I expected, an afternoon of overly-rambuctious kids and a DH who wanted to chat about his day. When I got home this afternoon I sat to compose a professional email and found it took me over an hour to get anything coherent down because I was constantly interrupted by, "Mom, can I have this? Mom, I need this. Mom...mom...MOM!" It's enough to make a woman insane.

Looking back, I'm not so sure the email I sent made any sense at all. Score one for chaos. Sometimes, real life sucks.

We are all pulled in a thousand different directions, a hundred million times per day. The distraction of life as I know it is the reason I don't write during the day. I usually (today seems to be the exception) can email, blog, even crit chapters between the insanity that rules my world, but never write. And when I don't get that time in the evenings to sit and put fingers to keyboard, I feel bad. It also really grates on me when I have obligations (like this blog) and I can't get to them. Why? Because I view this writing gig as my job. My career. And I always want to give it 110%, even when I can't.

Balancing writing and life is something I'm constantly working on. I know there are things I can't control. A houseful of small kids being first and foremost. Learning to roll with the punches and knowing when to accept the small defeats is something I continually struggle with. And I know it's something I will toss around throughout my writing career. Because, let's face it, most of the time, I'd much rather sit and write than do anything else.

Since I'm frazzled tonight, I'm not going to drone on and on like I normally do. (Aren't you thrilled?!) I'm simply going to ask: What strategies do you use to stay sane when real life gets in your way?

8Comments:

Blogger Lisa Pulliam said...

Get divorced, teehee ;-) Just kidding.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa Pulliam said...

I meant to add, it worked for me. lol

10:08 PM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

I'm with Lisa--not sure I have any answers but the 50 things to keep you writing list that Lisa posted was a good start. Oh and I heart Flylady for chaos management.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel! The kids will grow up and move away and the dh will eventually figure out to leave you alone when you are on the computer! Granted it's taken mine about 15 years, but hey! It happens! LOL

Actually once the kids hit middle-school, they understood writing makes mom a happier person and let me be when I closed the door and banged on the keys. Again, the husband was slower. Must be a guy thing???

Hang in there, it does get better!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, Lisa. Remember, I have three kids. Divorce would mean one less adult around to take some of the burden. LOL - And since I kinda like my DH, that option's out.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Strategies? They kinda change with circumstances.

What stresses me out the most (and it sounds like you, too) is when I WANT to do something but CAN'T.

The only way to really kill that frustration is to accept the fact that it's not going to happen and instead of concentrating on what's NOT happening, accept the writing won't get done that particilar day and concentrate on what IS happening. That way you're not pulled in one direction when you want to be going in another -- THAT's what really stresses you out.

Its a "staying in the moment" concept I got from that guy who writes the Don't Sweat the Small Stuff series. I think it was him anyway, in one of his other life management books.

When you let go of the struggle, you don't have the stress.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ah, J, a point I'm always working on. Not stressing the small stuff.

Yeah, you're right, I get stressed when there's something I want to do but can't because something else gets in my way.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Bethany - I'll check out Lisa's list. Good tip. I did try flylady years ago, but there were too many emails and it made my eyes cross. And cleanliness isn't my issue - it's the constant noise, tugging, demands my world puts on me. Yesterday was a particularly hairy day though and - luckily - most days aren't like that. (cross fingers)

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home