`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Saturday, October 21, 2006 :~:

Nightmares

With the advent of October comes scary movie after scary movie on television. Along with that comes my nine-year-old waking up with a bad dream about once a week -- he doesn't even have to watch the films in question, merely catch a glimpse of them on commercials. The same child who loves anything military, devours war movies and historical novels on any war imaginary can't handle Disney vampires, ghosts or witches.

I swear he gets it from his dad, who the entire time we've been married (closer to two decades than one!) has had nightmares stemming from his most personal fear (which I am not disclosing here).

My eldest son usually sleeps undisturbed -- no bad dreams there. I think he gets that from me. However, I do have nightmares at two specific times of year -- right before school starts and in mid-fall. Why? Well, I have teacher nightmares in early August, the ones where I'm standing before a group of chattering teenagers who won't shut while I'm trying to teach. That's right: my worst nightmare is having no classroom control.

I had the second worst nightmare last night, again. I've been having it, in various versions, off and on for the last two weeks. As the competition date for One Act play grows closer, it gets more frequent. I dream that my kids set the stage up wrong. I dream they get up and completely adlib. Last night? I dreamed that the stage was surreally warped, and I kept sliding off it, along with student actors and our props. I don't have to be Freud to figure this one out -- I'm feeling insecure about our performance as we approach our single competition.

Oddly enough, I've never had a writer's nightmare. I'm not sure why, although I've heard of other's nightmares that deal with all things writing?

Are you prone to nightmares? And if you write, do you suffer from writer's bad dreams?

3Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Hmmm...a writer nightmare? I don't think so. But last week I dreamt we woke up one morning to discover our youngest was a twin. That's right. The twin just somehow miraculously appeared - or we finally started noticing him. We had misplaced him for nearly 21 months. That's a little nightmare-ish to me. ;)

Oddly enough, said twin didn't walk or talk back or know the word "No". Come to think of it, maybe it was a fantasy. ;)

It's really timely you posted this because Gremlin #2 was awake numerous times last night, hysterical beyond reason. As a result, I am bleary-eyed and basically dead to the world today. Every time I asked him what was wrong he would sob and say he didn't know. I'm guessing it was probably nightmares of one form or another. I hadn't put together the scary-movie-this-time-of-the-year thing, but I guess it's a definite possibility.

I hope Monster #2 sleeps better tonight. And just so you know you aren't alone, I used to have teacher nightmares too. Very common for me, esp. right before school, just as my coaching seasons were starting (VB and softball) and usually just before the yearbook came out. And anytime I got in trouble with the principal, which, now that I think of it was a lot.

Man, I had a lot of nightmares...

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kristina Knight said...

Nope, no nightmares for me...you have to actually *sleep* to have nightmares. Yep, I was the kid (okay, adult, too) that didn't sleep at all after watching a scary movie.

No writer nightmares, either. When I worked in TV I used to dream about having a boogey hanging in my nose during live reports...or having my skirt fly over my head...talk about waking up in a cold sweat!

12:06 PM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

Mine are teacher nightmares, too. Mostly about my eval, which is next week!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home