`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 :~:

Contest Winner & Tough Love


First: The winner of our 100th post contest is...

aBookworm!!!

I will email you a list of book lots you can choose from including full-size hard bounds, big names and even some writing craft!

Now...Onto the post: Tough Love

I'm a proponent of slogging my way through the hard times. When the mountain ahead makes my shoulders sag in anticipated defeat, I typically put my head down, look at my feet and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Unfortunately for my CPs, I also bitch, grumble and moan the whole way.

This last month or two has been really tough...unusually tough. I attribute it to a few coinciding factors, some of which I can control, most of which I can't. But I've noticed I've slipped off out of my regular routine. Stepped off the path, so to speak.

I've found myself seeking out antidotes, remedies and/or inspiration as cure. Maybe to distract me from each painful step, maybe to procrastinate, most certainly to avoid what I know I've got to do if I want to reach my goal.

This struggle reminds me of trying to lose weight--desperately wanting to shed those extra pounds, yet even more desperately avoiding the work and sacrifice it takes to see results.

I recently read this article, which affected me like a splash of water in the face. Here is just one paragraph:
It's easy to fall into the trap of stroking our creative egos with spiritual and other ritualistic activities, but these don't guarantee productive work. Most writing problems, actually, don't originate in a lack of inspiration but in some fear related to the act of creating. While creative blocks have simple quick fixes, the solution to achieving stronger and more focused writing skills lies in a concentration on how to bridge the chasm between the will to write and the act itself.

A little like tough love, don't you think? Like taking the shadowy concepts of inspiration, muse and creativity and turning them on their head.

No elusive muse to blame? No lack of inspiration to cover up the minimal progression of work? Good Lord, no creativity drain to point a finger at?

That would mean...would mean... I'd have to be responsible for my own slump.

Ouuuuuuch.

A piece of me will always believe in the whim of a creative pop and that spark of inspiration that flares as the result of an obscure conversation, although I do have to admit that I've never quite managed to wrap my mind around the idea of a muse.

But the very cold, very hard fact is that the most important element in good writing, in refining the craft, in taking that next step toward bettering your author-self, is within our reach twenty-four-hours of the day, seven days a week. We only have to choose to use it.

Here’s the link to the whole article...a very worthwhile read!
Constructing Creative Identity: Four Steps to Strengthening Your Writing Muscles

3Comments:

Blogger Rashmi said...

I won??!! WOW, that's great news for this diehard bookworm here! I'm just jumping with joy :-) My email's iluvbooks at gmail.com

Thanks again.

Re. Tough love - I'm not a writer per se but as you said, these things come in everyone's life and you just have to slog on and keep your chin up. At least that's what I'm doing.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Thanks for the email! I will get a list of my books together and let you choose a few. :-)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow, J. That passage hit home with me. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for posting it.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home