`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 :~:

Putting Yourself Out There

I apologize for not posting yesterday. I've already been flogged with a wet noodle because someone says I disappeared and shouldn't do that. (I love you, J. I love that you worry about me. You're a sweetie.)

For the record, I was on vacation with the fam and the house we rented didn't have internet access (GASP! Can you imagine???? I was going through serious withdrawls.) Five days in sunny Central Oregon playing and having fun. And I'm pooped. A vacation with the kids is a lot of work. I feel like I need a vacation to recoup from my vacation.

Anyway, while I was there, something interesting happened. I let my DH read the first few chapters of my recent book. And I cringed.

The. Whole. Time.

Why?

Because...it's HIM reading MY work. Now he's gonna know what goes on in my twisted little brain. What if I shock him? (BTW, he read it and loved it - and why wouldn't he? It's wonderful. ROFL. Actually, he said that WHEN it's pubbed, he gets all the credit for making me think like a guy. And he's totally right.)

So back to the topic.

I cringed when DH read my stuff. Then tonight I went to my writer's meeting - which was a critique meeting - and purposely didn't take anything to have critiqued. But, lo and behold, this evil Nationals roommate of mine printed my new prologue and brought it for everyone to read. Grrr....

And I cringed some more.

Why?

Because I hate hate HATE having people read my stuff. No, that's not true. I think I hate being in the same room when they're reading it. I'm so self conscious. Strangers reading it is fine, but I'm forever worrying about what the people I know are going to think of me and my abilities when they read what I've written.

Does this ever change? The more you write, the more you pub? Do you ever stop worrying about what friends and family will say and think? Putting myself out there to agents and editors is a snap compared to putting myself out there to friends and family.

Tell me how you get past this fear - if you have it at all.

2Comments:

Blogger Lisa Pulliam said...

Haha! I know, I'm evil. Hey, you weren't getting off with the excuse of "oops, we just got back and I forgot." Like you used with the bracelet, ha! ;-)

But hey, did you notice that your feedback session was like two seconds? Everyone LOVED it. They loved the pacing, the descriptions, the action and the questions it left. You're a fantabulous writer dah-ling.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Lisa's right. You are a fantabulous writer and your day is coming.

I don't have a fear of people reading my work. I'm not sure why, but I like the idea of my words saying what lurks within me.

Granted, I'm not as twisted as you. LOL, but I do put some of me in every book.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home