`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Friday, July 14, 2006 :~:

More Juggling

My secret is out.

It's all over my small town that I sold a book.

Both of my administrators know. Many of students know. People are congratulating me in Dollar General. I finally talked to Leigh at the Bookstore about doing a signing when my print release comes out.

Have I mentioned I've had nightmares about this?

I didn't have a lot of trouble juggling teacher me and writer me when writer me was receiving rejection after rejection after rejection. I mean, sure, a lot of people know I wrote when I wasn't teaching, and I fielded questions from my students and other interested acquaintances.

But now, there's going to be a book out there for them to read. A real book. With a cover and pages and everything.

In black and white!

My best friend decided to torture me this morning with all the possibilities . . . things we both know as English teachers are going to happen. At least one kid will buy the book. (Heeeeey! Royalties!) It will get passed around, with all the sexy parts either dogeared or highlighted. The curse words will get giggled over.

That's where the nightmare of having to go before the school board because I -- gasp -- wrote book with sex on, like, page four! (Okay, that's just the nightmare -- I'm pretty sure I won't lose my job because of my writing . . . and there is a teacher shortage . . .) Writer me is completely okay with that, the whole sex-on-page-four thing. Teacher me has to face eighty-something hormonal teenagers every day once they know about the whole sex-on-page-four thing.

You know it's going to come up.

I'm figuring cool, calm, collected high road is the way to go.

There are some advantages to having my secret out.

1) People are expressing interest in the book and I've already had several people tell me they're buying a print copy.

2) There's no stigma attached to having sold to an company that will e-publish my book before the print version hits Borders. I'm not considered less-than-published because my publisher isn't one of the big NY houses. That's been nice.

3) My students will stop asking, "When are you going to publish one of your books, Ms. Winfree?"

So I think I can learn to juggle both teacher-me and writer-me, the public and private personas. Share with me . . . how do you, or how do you plan, to handle this juggling act?

4Comments:

Blogger Joan Swan said...

Whoo-hoo! Go girl! I know you can juggle!!

Me...who the heck knows how I'm going to handle it all. I have no clue and I can't even see that far ahead.

For me it's one step at a time and I'm nowhere near the publishing point.

Sorry I couldn't help more...I'll be watching you and sucking up all the info for when (not if) my time comes.

:-)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

I too have my first book coming out in both e-pubbed and print. So far everyone I know through work is excited about it along with all my chapter members and family.

Another chapter member said let's do book signings together, so I'm putting a couple together where I live and she's putting some together where she lives. I think that's the scariest part. Figuring out all the details and walking up to the book store owners and saying I have a book. They give me the speel I know you're excited, but and then go into what they expect from me for a book signing.

I can use insight into this process if anyone wants to share.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

So, Paty, what do they want? Leigh and I are old friends and her shop is a small one, but I haven't even approached any of the chain book stores yet. That's a little scary.

I have a CP coming down from Atlanta for moral support when I do the small one, and I know I'm dragging my best friend along for the same purpose. I was okay until Leigh mentioned making my book the book club book for that month! Yikes!

6:51 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Hi Linda, what an exciting time for you and those who know you. Hope all the signings go well.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home