`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Thursday, May 04, 2006 :~:

Who's Watching?

I tend to be a tad self-conscious by nature. I think it's a blend of personality and having lived in various small towns for most of my life. Therefore, I'm a little hyper-aware of the impression I leave on those around me (hey, the small-town gossip beast can be vicious . . . best not to feed it). I teach in a small school in one of those small towns, so I'm really careful about the persona I put forward around town.

Today, I get this email from my sister -- she'd Googled me and found my blog, thought it was funny. A few months ago, my students discovered it the same way. Before that, I'd had one of my dream agents leave a comment on one of my posts. Agent 007 visited and left advice for me on another post.

You never know who's out there, do you?

I'm always amazed by the people who claim to be professional writers, yet fail to act like a professional anything. For example, there are a couple of writers who everyone tells me are excellent. I've picked up their books a couple of times in my local bookstore but ended up putting them down again. Why?

Well, I've seen one act badly on a couple of writing lists and the other has been less than professional on his personal blog (actually, downright mean), and it turned me off to the idea of buying their books. Big deal, right? One sale. A whole $.18 worth of royalties down the drain.

Except you never know who's out there, right?

I'm not saying don't be you. Two of my favorite bloggers/authors are Monica Jackson and Kate Rothwell. Both are very vocal, very straightforward, very much "this is me." But while both deal with controversial issues often, I never see what I'd term unprofessional behavior from either. Honest, but not mean.

So, before you post, think. Before you send, think. Before you snub or bash, think.

Because you never know who's out there.

3Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Such a good reminder.

My mouth has been known to get me in trouble more times than not. It's very easy for someone with a sarcastic personality (like me) to get in trouble online where snarky comments can easily be misread.

However, I know what you mean. There are authors I won't buy simply because they come across know-it-all-ish on blogs and loops, or are even sometimes downright mean. It's one thing to be sarcastic, a completely other thing to be rude.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

You never know who is watching and reading - that's true. I also grew up in a small town, where everyone and I mean everyone knew everything you ever did. If you didn't confess to something as soon as you hit the door you were in big trouble because your parents already knew about it!

Why I led a squeaky clean life until I got out of the fish bowl!

But in my book bad mouthing someone doesn't help them get better and doesn't make you look good. So - there's no call for it. The classier you act the more people you gather.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

Words to live by! I enjoy sitting back and watching. My ears are ALWAYS open, but my mouth remains shut.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home