`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Monday, May 01, 2006 :~:

The First . . .

So, as we all know, J is in revision hell. It's been fun to watch her suffer, don't you think? I, personally, have gotten great joy out of hearing how she'd rather pull her eyelashes out one by one than revise one more chapter. (Okay, she didn't really say it that way, but that was my interpretation. What can I say? I'm visual, and I have a warped sense of humor.) Being the gracious woman she is though, J hasn't just suffered through, she's posted some great tips for the rest of us to learn from. That's J - generous without fault. Now, I've appreciated all she's posted, but was it relevent to me? Not really. I mean, I've been writing, not revising. Not the same, chica. So I read her posts, nodded, shrugged and then disregarded everything she wrote. But now . . .

You now that little thing called karma? Oh, yeah. Bit me. BIG time. And now I'm scrambling back through all of J's past posts trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I had to stop work on the WIP to get a past ms in shape for a requested submission. While I love this story, I've been playing ostrich because I realized there were issues with the first few chapters. When a pubbed author friend offered to look at them for me, I couldn't hide anymore and whipped the thing out to send it to her. Well, as you can imagine, since then I've been in the depths of revision hell right along with J, and let me tell you, it's not a fun place to be. Why, oh why, are revisions so daunting? I know once I get through them I'll look back and laugh and say, that wasn't so bad, but when you're in the midst of revising its like trying to dig yourself out of quicksand.

Now, I'm not one to subscribe to any kind of formula for writing, and I don't follow rules. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not even a plotter. But while editing this weekend I realized all the changes I made to the first few chapters totally screwed up my timeline and suddenly my hero and heroine are kissing on page 78.

78?! What the %$#@!

If I were writing a 280 page novel, that might fly. But this is a 450 page single title. That's not going to work. Where's the sexual tension if they're hot and heavy on page 78??

Hence, revision heeeeellllll.

I pulled the first kiss out of that scene and moved it back to chapter six and a point just before a dead body is found. Romantic, huh? Well, this is RS, and I think it works, so it's staying. And that first kiss is now on page 135, which is a little more "workable" for me.

Of course, that got me thinking about timing and pages and where you have your romantic action happening in your stories. (And it's a good distraction from revision hell). So I'd like to ask you to do me a favor: Get out your ms and share. Where's the first kiss? Chapter and page. Where's the first love scene? Chapter and page. Even if you're not a plotter (like me) do you think about things like page numbers and chapters when you're writing or revising your "romance"?

4Comments:

Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Ok well since I'm only about 25 pages in on each of my current proposals I'm gonna use the first novella for BCC--
First kiss: Ch 1 pg 11 heroine kisses a woman...
First sex scene--Ch 2 Pg 14 w/the hero *ggg*

I'm not a plotter but I was working on a synop last night and stopped and asked myself "where can I put in more sex" *ggg* life is tough LOL No seriously, external plot is my weakness, so I'd focused on that...thus the question. Great blog hon!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Well, I don't even think about where the kiss will be or when they will have sex.(chaters or pages) It comes when they are ready for it in the story.

But, for you Eli, I'll go take a look and get back to you! ;)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Ok, I'm back- Here's what I have:
Marshal in Petticoats
Kiss- chp 10 page 137
Love scene - chp 11 page 143

Gambling on an Angel
Kiss- chp 11 page 187
Love scene - chp 17 page 262

Second Chance
Kiss- chp 7 page 101
Love Scene chp 12 page 164

Shattered Dreams (in revisions)
Kiss- chap 9 page 123
love scene - chap 13 page 179

Spirit of the Mountain
Kiss - chap 9 page 122
love scene - chap 12 page 164

Does that help any?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks, Cece and Paty!

I think Paty's right - where it happens in the story is where it happens. In the book I'm (almost done) revising, first kiss is on pg. 135. First love scene is on pg 181. However, in the WIP, the first kiss happens early - pg 33, but the first love scene isn't isn't until pg 286. And funny thing, even though the love scene is much later, the WIP is definitely a "sexier" read than the other book. What works for one story doesn't work for another.

Thanks for sharing, girls!

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home