`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 :~:

An Analogy

I've been knitting a lot lately--'tis the season for scarves after all. Recently I was working with a gorgeous yarn I often use because it's easy to work with, and it's fuzzy. (Translate: it hides mistakes.)

I was on a roll, plotting and weaving away in my head, solving problems that had cropped up in revisions of my recent WIP, Love Sketch. By the time I stopped to take a look at the progress of my friend's scarf, I'd completed about two feet.

With a major boo-boo after about three inches--I had added and dropped several stitches so one side of the scarf had a little bump, one noticeable enough to make me swear.

I was really bummed. All that time wasted. It made me sick to my stomach to think about unraveling it and starting over. I showed it to a few different knitters who immediately saw the problem, but soothed me with the common, "You'll never see it." Or, "When it's wound around your neck, it'll be hidden."

I considered and continued knitting. But it didn't feel right. Every inch or so I'd stop and review my mistake, imagining it would somehow disappear or be less prominent than I remember. It, of course, never did.

It took me another eight inches of knitting to realize the enjoyment was gone, because I knew the result would be majorly flawed. I put it away for a while, unable to face what I knew I'd have to do--take it apart.

I finally relented, pulled the scarf back out, took a deep breath and slowly unraveled the entire thing.

And as I did, it struck me how I'd done the same thing with stories when something early on hadn't worked--the basic makeup of a character or a hole in the plot or a loose end had led me to unravel and rewrite. Whatever the problem was niggled in the back of my head and sucked the enjoyment right out of writing.

I also realized how similar casting on (the first row in knitting) is to a story's beginning, it's basic structure. If you're off there, the entire scarf turns out wonky, the way your entire story feels "wrong".

My yarn reminds me of my characters. I search for the coolest ones with deep, rich colors and interesting texture. And once I find a main yarn, I often look for an accompanying fiber, one that will accentuate the main thread.

I equate the structure of the piece to my plot: scarf, beanie, poncho or blanket, each will have a different pattern, each a different result. Stitch by stitch a piece is created, just as word by word, sentences build, then paragraphs, and eventually a robust story.

The pattern is the conflict, varied stitches providing texture just as conflict creates the peaks and valleys in a story.

And at the end of a knitted project, the special stitch you make to keep it from unraveling, the way you weave your leftover yarn through the item to finish it off, reminded me of the last chapter of a book, tying up all the loose ends to produce a satisfying story.

When I got down to my three good inches at the beginning of my troubled scarf, to a few solid and even rows, I started again. I paid more attention to making sure I had fifteen loops on each row, not fourteen, not sixteen. I paused every few rows to count and double check. And when I'd corrected my previous mistake and had nice even rows in my recreated work, I experienced a sense of accomplishment. I found I could actually enjoy the process again.

I cast off, wove my leftover yarn through and took a look at my finished work. It was a beautiful, satisfying piece I could be proud of.

3Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

What a great analogy! And so true!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

I love this! And yes, sometimes it's worth the unraveling!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love this, too. And it's so so SO true.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home